Pease Mansion Details
Location: Austin, TX
The Pease Mansion was originally constructed by master builder Abner Cook in 1853, making it one of Austin’s oldest residences. A west wing was added in 1902 and further additions to the rear occurred in 1957.
The project consisted of renovations and restoration of the Historic residence back to its 1902 conditions. Our office was initially commissioned to perform an engineering study to identify options for MEP systems replacement and integration into the renovations.
In addition to the coordination of all work with both the Texas Historical Commission and Austin’s Landmark Commission, our office designed the MEP systems to integrate with the careful deconstruction and reconstruction of poorly built early additions. A very large 1950’s addition was removed in its entirety and a historically compatible addition was built on the west end.
Conventional Dx cooling (refrigerant only) split system heat pumps along with a specialized outside air pretreatment system were selected. Design was further complicated by the lack of interior mechanical space. A new mechanical room was constructed in the basement and tunnels/crawlspace excavated for systems routing.
The successful renovation and restoration remains a prized example of Abner Cook’s Greek Revival Mansions.